COVID WRAP: WA has recorded its highest number of local COVID cases since the start of the pandemic, as the state government unveils a $77 million support package.
Western Australia has recorded its highest number of local COVID cases since the start of the pandemic, with 37 of the 139 new infections the result of community transmission.
Of the 37 new local cases, 29 have been linked to close contacts, while the source of eight was still under investigation.
Contact tracers are working to determine new public exposure sites, with several of the new cases having been infectious while in the community.
A total of 102 cases were recorded among returned travellers.
During a press conference this afternoon, Premier Mark McGowan said the increasing daily case numbers were not cause for panic, but vindicated the state government and its decision to delay the planned border reopening on February 5.
“It’s a game-changer which has caused chaos across the nation and the world,” he said.
“But this is what we were predicting, which is why we delayed reopening of the state’s borders.
“The bulk of new Omicron cases are being recorded among returned travellers, which is why we enforced the adjusted hard border settings.
“One can only imagine the kind of seeding event which could have occurred under the previous reopening plan.
“It was about saving lives, saving jobs and saving the state’s economy.”
The jump in case numbers came just 24 hours after Health Minister Amber-Jade Sanderson warned the state could see 'galloping numbers' any day now and follows a lockdown of a Bentley aged care home after a staff member and resident tested positive for the virus.
Mr McGowan also unveiled a comprehensive $77 million support package for industries affected by the delay to the reopening of the state's borders, including international education, events, and the tourism sector.
The support package comprises $10 million for international education support, including grants of between $50,000 and $100,000 for smaller education providers and funds for quarantine-related costs.
There will also be more than $35 million for tourism providers, including grants of between $10,000 and $50,000 for eligible businesses, $13 million for aviation and travel agencies, and $13 million in events support.
Mr McGowan said although he stood by the decision to delay the full border reopening, there was no denying a number of industries were negatively affected by the decision.
He said the funding was designed to support the cash flow of those businesses and partially offset the additional costs spent or lost revenues.
“We recognise that some businesses made plans and took bookings based on the previous reopening plan and acknowledge the financial hit they have taken,” he said.
But the opposition has labelled the compensation a "tokenistic pledge" that came too little too late.
With the state government having had a $5.8 billion surplus last year, opposition spokesperson for Small Business Steve Thomas said the suggestion $77 million was adequate compensation for struggling small businesses was "a joke”.
“It simply demonstrates that the Premier either doesn’t understand business or doesn’t care," he said.
Dr Thomas said businesses needed consistency from the state government, demanding greater clarity around the eventual plan to reopen the state's borders.
“It is not acceptable for Mr McGowan to act as though he has to keep us all in the dark for our own good," he said.
“We should have had a proper plan for transition released already so business had certainty on the requirements they have to face, but the Premier is yet to deliver one."
